by boyd




Important Information Regarding Las Vegas metropolitan Police Department’s New Policies on Accident Reporting

As you may be aware, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department is no longer responding to any car accidents that they consider “minor fender benders.” Although it is unknown how much impact this decision will have on future accident victims, it is clear that not having an official record will be problematic. While we are hopeful that the decision to not respond to car accidents is temporary, we would like to take this opportunity to tell you what to do in the event of a car accident under the new system. Please share this information with all of your friends, family members and co-workers so that they will know how to protect their rights if they are involved in a car accident. Metro is still responding to car accidents involving one or more of the following factors:

  • One or more of the parties involved in the accident is injured.
  • One or more of the cars involved in the accident is disabled.
  • One of the parties attempts to leave the scene or refuses to provide insurance information.
  • One of the parties involved in the accident believes the other is driving while impaired.

In most instances one of these factors will come in to play. However, it may be important under the new system to be more assertive when calling 911, as we already know of one instance where dispatch would not send an officer even though one of the drivers was refusing to provide their insurance information. In the event you are in accident and Metro refuses to respond, you should take the following steps to protect your rights:

  1. Move your vehicle to a safe location.
  2. Take pictures of the other vehicle and all information obtained from the other driver.
  3. Write down the license plate number and a description of the other vehicle.
  4. Write down or take a picture of the other driver’s insurance information.
  5. Take down the driver’s license info for the other driver involved, including a valid address.
  6. Call us once you have obtained the above information so we can verify the information is valid.
  7. Go online to the DMV website at and complete a “Report of Traffic Accident” form. (Metro is no longer taking Driver Accident Reports).

We hope that no one you know has need for the above information, but we are always happy to help.  As always, if we can ever be of assistance to you or a loved one it would be our pleasure to take your call. Call Moss Berg Injury Lawyers today and Get Moss Berg On Your Side!