Who Is at Fault for Bicycle Accidents?
Unfortunately, Las Vegas and the state of Nevada, in general, see many bicycle accidents occurring. Although there are laws pertaining to motor vehicles sharing the roads with bicyclists, accidents inevitably happen. Sometimes, it might occur due to driver negligence and accident fault. Other times, an accident happens due to unforeseeable circumstances.
Injuries That Can Occur from Bicycle Accidents
If a car hits a person riding and bike, it can lead to serious injuries. Bicycle accidents can significantly impact the injured cyclist and cause them to miss time from work. In the worst-case scenario, even with road safety measures, an accident can result in long-term injuries that can be disabling in nature. The following injuries can occur:
• Concussion and traumatic brain injuries
• Mouth injuries and broken teeth
• Neck and back injuries
• Partial or total paralysis
• Road rash
• Serious ligament damage
• Severe joint damage
• Severe lacerations
• Spinal cord injuries
Common Reasons for Bike Accidents
In most cases, bicycle accidents can be prevented. However, according to Las Vegas injury attorneys, most accidents occur due to a few causes. They include the following:
• Carelessness or recklessness: Drinking and driving or speeding can lead to accidents.
• Driver or rider error: Accident fault is often due to errors made by either a driver or a bike rider.
• Failing to look properly: If a driver doesn’t properly look out for bicyclists on the road, it can lead to an accident.
• Poor turning: Drivers who turn recklessly or in a sweeping manner can cause bicycle accidents.
Per Nevada’s comparative negligence statute, injured parties who suffer damages in bicycle accidents must prove liability. If a driver behaved recklessly or carelessly while behind the wheel and struck you, causing your injuries, they can be held liable to compensate you for your medical bills, lost wages and other expenses.
Drivers and bicyclists alike must look out for one another and safely share the road. It can keep everyone safe.