by admin




Learn about what your legal rights are if you are visiting the house of a friend and you experience an injury that is the result of a slip-and-fall accident.

How to Handle a Slip-and-fall Accident at a Friend’s House

Visiting a friend at his or her home is a lovely way to spend an evening. Unfortunately, a slippery step or a broken rail could result in you experiencing a slip-and-fall accident while visiting your friend’s house. If you experience an injury due to poor maintenance or negligence while visiting a friend, Las Vegas injury attorneys may be able to help you protect your rights.

Take Photos

If possible, take photos of the area of your friend’s property where you were hurt. Be sure to capture images of the damage, such as a loose hand rail or a broken board on stair steps. Even if you do not have to take your case to court, your friend’s homeowner’s insurance may want to see what the circumstances were that caused you to be injured.

Get Medical Care

It is important to get medical care for a slip-and-fall accident. You may have a sprain or fracture without realizing it right away. Be sure to get copies of any X-rays or imaging studies that are ordered. You should also ask for a copy of the summary of your visit and your discharge papers. If you will be filing a claim against the homeowner’s insurance that your friend has, you will need all of this documentation.

Filing an Insurance or Legal Claim

You and your lawyer will have to sort out what you plan to do about the costs of medical care related to your slip-and-fall accident. If you have health insurance, it may pay and subrogate against your friend’s homeowner’s insurance. In some cases, the other homeowner’s insurance may pay your bills directly or reimburse you for your out-of-pocket costs. If you choose to file a lawsuit against your friend or his or her insurance, your medical providers may place a lien against any damages that you receive.